
Did I just say that? Yes. But it needs to be done for Cole's sake. I didn't say I was giving up TV. I love to sit down and relax with a show or two during afternoon nap or after he has gone to bed, but his TV time has gotten WAY out of hand and it has got to stop, not completely, forever, but for awhile. It does not need to be the first thing he asks for every day. It does not need to be better in his mind then playing outside or with his toys, actively playing. He didn't even want to play with me yesterday. Sad. He rather sit, in silence, in front of the TV.
Please know that I do not think watching TV is wrong, but I also think that TV for babies and toddlers is not the best option. Their little minds are soaking up everything they see and hear and it definitely takes away from their ability to have creative/independent play as I have seen with Cole over the last few months.
When Cole was first born, I had the TV on from the moment we woke up in the morning. He was a baby. He didn't care, right? I don't know and definitely didn't think so. Well, for my benefit because there is too much TV for adults too, I decided to limit myself to 1 hour of TV during the day while Brent was at work. I was WAY more productive. Imagine that!
Another eye opening experience was the day Cole responded to what I was watching on TV. He was not even a year, maybe 8 or 9 months. I was just watching CSI, nothing terrible or anything but not great for a baby to be absorbing. I had NO idea he was even paying attention because he was off playing on the other side of the room by himself, not even looking at the TV. I guess someone was leaving or something and said "bye" so his natural response was to tell them "bye" as well. Whoa. Wake up call for me.
At that moment, I knew, no more TV while he was awake. So we had about a year with no TV while Cole was awake. And that was our shows. He never once had watched his age shows ever, at least at our house.
Then at about 20 months, so only 4-5 months ago, I was pregnant and sick/tired all the time. TV was an easy thing to turn on and him be entertained. Yes, at first, he barely made it through a 25 minute show and he was finished watching and ready to get back up and play. That quickly changed. He literally could sit in front of the TV all day long now and never wants to turn it off. He wakes up in the morning asking for a show. He gets up from his nap asking for a show. It's bad. He is completely addicted. How did this happen so quickly?? We were doing SO well without TV. I had a plan of no TV. It makes me sad because I see with my own eyes what TV has done to him at such a young age. His play time has seriously declined to the point of I wonder if he knows how to play anymore. Sure at new places, with new people, and new things that aren't his own, I see him play some, but here at our house, hardly ever, unless Brent and I are trying to engage him. Super sad.
And again, every kid is different and this is only my experience, but wow, it really took a hold of him and we have to put it to a STOP.
So today, we are having our first TV free day! We haven't had that in I don't know when and I know the first few days will be hard, maybe even the first few weeks, but we must get back to creative/independent play.
Moms, what are some activities you have around your house for your kids that have nothing to do with TV? How do you distract them from wanting to watch TV?
We go on outings but we can't be out all the time and he used to love just playing at home with me or by himself. We have lost that love and we need to get it back.
I started this post this morning at breakfast and it is now 2pm. Cole just went down for a nap and the TV has not been turned on and only asked for once when he got up. I sat him down and explained that we weren't watching TV today and that we are going to play with our toys, go outside, etc. I am shocked it hasn't come up more, but super thankful because I know I shouldn't give in to fits and whining but when they won't quit you know it is hard other moms, right?
Today, we have been to the library and mall. So not a lot of home time yet but this afternoon we plan to just hang around here and play outside and with our toys inside. Now, I need to go nap so I am ready to play and don't give in to my temptation even to turn it on.

No comments:
Post a Comment