Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Update on Cole

Yesterday morning when the pediatrician came by to give us a report about how Cole was doing, he said that his nose looked a bit yellow, but he was not concerned yet. He said that jaundice some times does not show up for a couple days.

This morning with his report, we learned that his bilirubin number was high when they did a skin test, but the doctor said that reading is not the most accurate so it is followed-up with another test. He was at a 10 and needed light treatments. I really am liking his pediatrician group. His regular doctor is out of town, but her associate has been seeing him and giving us these reports. He said that Cole may need to stay at the hospital until tomorrow, depending on how he reacts to the treatments. He is not pushing Cole to be discharged at all and said it would be best to just keep him at the hospital then to send him home today and have to remit him later. I am very thankful for that.

Okay...you can't tell but there was a huge pause in my writing...Cole came to eat and we talked to the nurse caring for him.

He finished his first light session and will stay onto tomorrow to be re-tested. We are able to stay up until a minute before midnight, so we will stay until his last feeding tonight and then the nursery will take over during the night as far as feeding. Please pray that the jaundice will go away quickly and his bilirubin count will go down and stay down. I asked the nurse about the number system because I am not familiar with it, but a 10 is not too much but it is enough to make him stay and get treatments. We want him to go home, but we want him to go and stay there, so we are definitely willing to wait for this to go away and keep him here. Just pray for him and that his counts return to normal quickly.

You can pray for me and that my milk will come in. Right now, I am still trying to feed him each time, but then we are giving him formula because it is so important for him to use the restroom to flush the jaundice out. It is normal for the milk supply to take a few days to come in, but without having him with me to feed him like tonight and when he is still here at the hospital, it could present a problem. The lactation consultant here is great and give me some great tips on our to help stimulate that process, so I am going to have to do some other techniques to help that come in. Just pray that this alternative methods will work and will not hinder me feeding Cole in the future. But right now, we are willing to do what is best for his health.

Thank you all so much for praying. We definitely can see the results of your prayers and God working in this whole process.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These silly palermo babies and their jaundice. How awesome that the pediatrician is being so wise about keeping him there instead of releasing him too early. He will get better much faster this way!

And I'm so glad you have a wonderful LC to help you out with the breastfeeding and the adjustments since he won't be with you tonight. Not that I could help with that, but I hate being out of town and not there to help in any way I can! But we'll be coming back soon!

Use tonight to get some rest and rejuvination before bringing that sweet boy home tomorrow. We love you!