Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Moving is Bittersweet

Today, it's official. I am emotionally torn about moving.

On one hand, I am so excited. I love moving into a new house. Always have. I remember helping several of my close friends move in elementary/middle school. It wasn't even my house but still thrilling! I remember going with my dad to look at model homes as a kid to see how they were decorated or laid out. Odd for a kid I guess but I loved it and still do. I love looking at different homes and finding inspiration, rearranging furniture and using things in a new way. I am excited about the new space we will gain and the ability to host more people more comfortably. I am stoked about the great interest rate and the money we will save. And I am beyond thrilled of how close (within blocks of some) we will be to several of our friends!

On the other hand, I am emotionally attached to this house. It is the first house Brent and I called home. It is the place we brought our two kids home to. It is a place where we made it our own with lots of remodeling. We love our neighbors and street and we will miss them greatly. The change in daily routine is tough too. What will our mornings look like? Will Cole still walk across the house and climb in my bed if I am still asleep? I love that! He is so independent outside our home, which I love too but I treasure our snuggle/watch shows time. I like the coziness of our home when it's just us. I will miss that I think. I love Claire's room and how it is decorated. Is it weird to want to decorate it just the same?

I still want to move. I am not doubting our house choice in any way. It is just bittersweet. Happy and sad all rolled up into one. We are more then halfway packed I would guess and hoping to close next week.

I guess I am just ready to called the new house "home" instead of the new house all the time. Right now it's just a house and this is our home.

5 comments:

larra said...

Aww, sis, I'm kinda sad for you. I mean, in a happy way...so excited about all the memories you (and we) will make in your new home. But totally understand the nostalgia of leaving your first home behind. Enjoy this last week. Can't wait to come help you move!!

Cliff said...

Just think of all the new memories you'll be able to make at the new house. And all the new babies you can bring home to it. ;)

cal+claire said...

I always have a hard time moving, but I try to think of new memories I can make right away because I feel like it helps make the transition more happy and exciting!

one blonde mom said...

I am HAPPY about this move. Maybe that wasn't so clear at midnight when the post was written. There will be tons of new, exciting, sweet memories to come! Packing resumes!

Beth Rayburn said...

Okay, so here is where I show you how really spiritual I am...one of my favorite quotes comes from the movie Hope Floats...beginnings are scary, endings are sad, its what happens in the middle that counts the most. You just have to give hope a chance to float up. I am excited for all the new, and am glad you have lots of 'past' to dwell on. You and yours are blessed and loved, and have a new address :).